Ruth Rowe and Bruce Loev drown tragically on their honeymoon after being swept out to sea
|In love: Friends and family members were following their activities on the online photo albums they posted from a secluded beach resort in Costa Rica|
A much-loved couple drowned tragically after they were swept out to sea on their honeymoon in Costa Rica.
Ruth Rowe and Bruce Loev, from Danbury, got married on July 4 and set off on their vacation soon after. On July 10 they drove to Playa Linda to go swimming in the sea.
But the powerful ocean currents were too strong and swept them away. Their bodies were found by a local resident who spotted them four kilometers from where they entered the water.
Ruth, 46, was a fifth-grade math teacher in the Pawling school district. She and Bruce, 51, grew up in New York together and dated when they were young. But the pair moved away from each other and raised their families in different parts of the country.
After both their marriages ended, they reconnected and took up where they left off 25 years later.
Couple: Ruth Rowe and Bruce Loev, from Danbury, got married on July 4 and set off on their vacation soon after. On July 10 they drove to Playa Linda to go swimming in the sea
Second chance: Ruth and Bruce had grown up together in New York and been a couple before moving apart and raising their families in different parts of the country
Bruce was an aviation civil engineer and an avid skier. He taught his children to love themselves, to follow their hearts, and to let go of the negatives that may slow them down from enjoying life, according to his online obituary.
Friends and family were following the athletic couple's activities on the online photo albums they posted from the beach resort, according to the Newtown Times.
Joan Roberts, the Pawling school district data coordinator who worked with Rowe for the last 13 years, said: 'This is just awful. I still can't believe this is really happening. He was the love of her life.
'She has always been a sweetheart. The thing I notice about her is that I never hear any cross words between her and the kids. Never, ever. Always just very encouraging, but not a pushover. She was firm, but very kind.
'She was a beautiful girl. She was an athlete -- and he was an athlete, a skier -- and in great shape. She spent her summers on Martha's Vineyard. This is just the most crazy thing,' Roberts said.
Rowe's son, Kaleb, just graduated from Newtown High, and her daughter, Emily, is a student at Virginia Tech University.
A friend of the couple said: 'She was a beautiful girl. She was an athlete -- and he was an athlete, a skier -- and in great shape. She spent her summers on Martha's Vineyard. This is just the most crazy thing'
Her father, Robert Hubertus, said the obituary reflected what the family wished to say about his daughter.
'Whether watching a sunset on Martha's Vineyard, going out for an early-morning run, educating young minds or serenading all listeners, Ruth's free spirit captured and inspired all who knew her,' the obituary said.
According to his LinkedIn page, Loev was a principal airport engineer at URS Corp. He is a 1989 graduate of Lehigh University with a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering.
The 51-year-old was also an athlete who loved to ski and play golf, teaching his children Jennifer and Brian to love themselves, to follow their hearts, and to let go of the negatives that may show them down from enjoying life,' said the Wednesday obituary in The News-Times.
By Daily Mail Reporter PUBLISHED: 08:39 EST, 19 August 2013 | UPDATED: 08:43 EST, 19 August 2013 0 View comments Comeback: Lois Goodman, 71, will referee at the ...
- High school sweethearts, 17 and 18, tragically killed in Thanksgiving weekend car crash
- Tennis star Lauren Davis is stung on her butt by wasp... and accidentally recreates THAT poster
- Paul Walker's best friend and ex Aubrianna Atwell 'devastated' by death
- SUNY president apologizes after Cortaca football riot bring chaos to small town
- Bill Evans: New York TV weatherman arrested after brawl with wife he's divorcing after 19 years of marriage
- Jaguar unveils its 'Chelsea tractor': Luxury carmaker launches 4x4 in bid to attract more women customers
- Shelter dogs take starring role in Ralph Lauren's fall accessories video
- Abortion 'abolitionists' cause stir at Texas high schools with graphic photos
- Hive containing 60,000 honeybees removed from Utah cabin after six hours
- Jade Beall: Photographer takes nude portraits of new mothers to challenge pressure on them to snap back into shape
- Second Australian female jockey dies as horse throws her just a week after she rode FOUR winners in a day
- Make-up changes the way other people respond to you - and can even make you lucky in love
- Therapist fired for being too cute?
- NFL star Kerry Rhodes forced to deny he's gay - despite being pictured with his arm around another man
- EXCLUSIVE - Naked and Afraid and 'FAKE': Survival show contestant was secretly given IV drip and baby food after she gets ill from eating a turtle - but viewers were not told
- Video shows eight-year-old girl viciously mauled by Tibetan mastiff as she plays on the street in China
- New video shows Alec Baldwin's 'stalker' Genevieve Sabourin pacing in his apartment lobby
- Vanity Fair names America's new establishment (and Jay Z is number 1)
- Film extra on set of new Brad Pitt movie rushed to hospital via air ambulance 'after being stabbed with bayonet'
- Five ridiculous conspiracy theories about celebrities
- John Miller killed partner and daughter, but spared youngest because she was 'pure Aryan'
- SeaWorld case goes before appellate court
- Philippines officials accused of prioritising Typhoon Haiyan aid in areas that voted for them
- MAVEN mission to Mars set for Monday launch
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Pedal-powered limo hits streets of Daytona Beach
- 9 Investigates VA erroneously declaring veteran dead
- TSA opens up program to speed fliers through check points
- FDOT plans to pay Lynx for feeder bus service to SunRail
- Disney to back homelessness eradication in Osceola
- UCF students, bar owners fear new parking fine could encourage drunken driving
- Sanford police officer seriously hurt during traffic stop, police say
- Officials: 1 student shot near West Orange High School
- Doritos Locos tacos mastermind dies at 41
- Pilot whales stranded in Everglades National Park