Terrifying video captures moment German drone missed Afghan plane carrying 100 passengers by just two metre
Classified footage of an out-of-control drone narrowly missing an Afghan passenger plane carrying 100 people has caused outrage in Germany.
The video, filmed from onboard the unmanned German Luna drone as it flew over Afghanistan, shows it missing the plane by about two metres.
It has caused fury in Germany as debate rages about the Government's new order of drones.
Scroll down for video
Classified footage shows how the 88lb drone came to hitting the plane, risking the lives of its 100 passengers
The plane is just visible in the distance from the drone's onboard camera as it flies over Kabul
Last week German Defence Minister Thomas de Maizihre said Luna's successor would not be fitted with anti-collision technology because it is too expensive.
Critics have seized on the dramatic footage taken nine years ago as proof of the dangers of unmanned drones and called for de Maizihre to reconsider.
They say larger drones should be fitted with the technology as it could cause more damage if it crashed.
Since then the footage has gained widespread attention, despite being nine years old.
The 88lb German 'Luna' drone was caught in air turbulence created by the Ariana passenger plane, before losing control and crash landing over the Afghan capital, Kabul.
The German Luna drone flies towards the Ariana passenger plane, carrying 100 people
The video shows the plane in the distance before it swiftly moves into shot.
The drone passes under the left wing of the engine.
The video was posted on YouTube despite it being strictly classified.
German magazine Der Spiegel believe that the drone flew less than two metres away from the Airbus A300, putting 100 lives at risk.
However, Germany is still going ahead with the purchase of a possible 16 armed Euro Hawks for military use from 2016.
A defence ministry spokesman said that he did not foresee combat-ready drones being deployed over Germany, for example in anti-terrorism operations.
The Ariana airline (similar to the one pictured) was carrying 100 passengers when it narrowly missed the drone
Critics have called for the government to fit the Euro Hawk (pictured) with anti-collision technology
Deerfield student: Whit Sheppard 'who was sexually abused at elite boarding school reveals his identity'
Deerfield Academy has notified police after Whit Sheppard claimed retired maths teacher Peter Hindle had 'sexual contact' with him in the 1980sThe prestigious New England ...
- Son, 8, of driver in fiery crash that killed Paul Walker tried to rescue his father
- Hive containing 60,000 honeybees removed from Utah cabin after six hours
- Albert Wilson: Vein thief caught after taking picture of himself on stolen cell phone
- Pictures of Paul Walker as best man at brother's wedding weeks ago
- Farm 432 machine uses maggots to 'grow your own protein at home'
- Tumblr's first employee explains why he won't be buying lavish possessions with his new-found wealth
- Why having an older brother (or sister) can lower your IQ: From your risk of cancer to infertility and putting on weight, how siblings can affect your health
- Fury in Poland after statue marking the rape of millions of German women by Russian soldiers is torn down and artist arrested
- The iPad child carers: Quarter of fathers use tablets to occupy their children
- Horror for mother-of-two as she live-tweets deadly car accident... only to discover her husband had been killed in it
- Tom Cruise's former bodyguard facing rape investigation
- The real life Miss Havisham: War widow dies leaving behind £100,000 treasure trove of designer clothes she collected over 70 years - and NEVER wore
- America's new isolationism
- How Russian tour guide spent months at Pyramid ghost town near North Pole
- EXCLUSIVE - Naked and Afraid and 'FAKE': Survival show contestant was secretly given IV drip and baby food after she gets ill from eating a turtle - but viewers were not told
- Stunning pictures of bees show the insects as you've never seen them before - with fluffy 'hair' and stained-glass wings
- Parents 'should ignore mobiles when talking to their children so that they know their views are important'
- Paul Walker secretly bought Iraq war veteran $9,000 wedding ring
- Heat scorch Pacers to get within one win of NBA Finals
- Woman accused of offering topless hair-styling service is arrested... for not having a cosmetology license
- Candid pictures capture the birth of the groovy 'teenage' generation in 1940s America
- Harry Drinkwater's lost diary from the Great War
- Paul Walker: Were Fast and Furious actor and his friend pulling stunts in their high-powered super-car before crash? Scorched tire marks and burned rubber 'doughnuts' found in the road close to the accident scene
- Porn star Cameron Bay brought the industry to a standstill after contracting HIV
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- William Bratton: why new mayor chose him to lead NYPD – again
- Nelson Mandela, death of the ballroom dancing ladies' man with a tempestuous love life
- Nelson Mandela dead at 95
- Nelson Mandela death: How his family are at war over his £10m fortune
- My friend, the dandy who hid his pain behind a smile: By Richard Stengel, who spent years at Mandela's side and co-wrote his memoir The Long Walk to Freedom
- Nelson Mandela dead: A symbol of resistance who transcended race barriers to become an exemplar of human generosity of spirit
- FSU quarterback expresses thanks after it's revealed he will NOT be charged with rape as documents claim friend watched accuser willingly perform a sex act
- Judge 'irritated' as Amanda Bynes fails to appear in court over marijuana bong-throwing incident
- New 2015 Ford Mustang ready to roll into showrooms on 50th anniversary
- President Obama admits he lived with drunk driving uncle Onyango