Laney Brown: Girl, 8, who had thousands sing carols to her as one of her last wishes dies on Christmas morning
- Delaney Brown suffered from a rare form of childhood cancer called acute myeloid leukemia with monosomy 7
- She was given just days to live by doctors last week and died this morning
- Spoke with pop star Taylor Swift among other bucket list items
- 10,0000 people came out to sing Christmas carols to her on Saturday
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 11:15 EST, 25 December 2013 | UPDATED: 11:44 EST, 25 December 2013
A young girl with terminal cancer has passed away after her plight gained national attention.
Delaney 'Laney' Brown of West Reading, Pennsylvania passed away early Christmas morning.
One of the last kind gifts she received was the support of thousands of strangers who came to her front lawn to sing Christmas carols on Saturday night.
That pick-me-up came the day after she knocked another dream- speaking with Taylor Swift- off her bucket list on her eighth birthday.
Last picture: Laney's mother and father were by her side when she passed away at home in West Reading, Pennsylvania just after 3am on Christmas morning
Laney died early Wednesday morning with her relatives updating her followers with her status on the 'Team Laney' Facebook page.
'My heart breaks right now. Our little angel on earth earned her pink glittery angel wings in heaven. She took her last breath at home in her bed at 3:10 surrounded by all her family and friends. I miss her so much already,' the latest update from about 5am on Christmas morning read.
Followers were well aware that Laney's health had taken a turn for the worse, with a lengthy update on Tuesday night telling how the family was praying for a Christmas miracle.
They had a check in with their doctors Tuesday night so that she could have a transfusion and new tests.
'We went up there hoping that maybe we would get a miracle and were just devastated hearing all those results,' the update read.
Last wish: Thousands gathered Saturday evening outside the West Reading, Pennsylvania home of 8-year-old Delaney Brown, who is dying from a rare form of cancer
Touching: Over 4,000 people said they'd attend Delaney's sing-along and photos show a huge crowd outside the ailing 8-year-old's Pennsylvania home
'I can hear you now!!! Love you!': Delaney showed her appreciation for the throng of Christmas well-wishers in a Facebook post on Saturday night as she lay stuck in her bed
'Our doctors focus then turned to how uncomfortable Laney had been for days. They were determined to get that under control. Our baby should not being struggling like this while on hospice.
'She is extremely comfortable right now so I guess not being able to hear her beautiful little voice again or see her gazing at me with those big blue eyes is the trade off we had to make.
'I lay next to her all day and all night kissing her beautiful face and stroking every finger on her tiny hands.
'Tonight is Christmas Eve, a time when they are usually getting excited about how they are going to sneak down stairs early to see what Santa got them and teasing each other about what they got for each other. I miss her voice so badly right now.'
Rare: Delaney has a serious and very rare form of childhood leukemia called acute myeloid leukemia (AML) with monosomy 7
Bucket list: Another wish on Delaney's bucket list was to be a baby sitter, which she got to fulfill last week when a friend of the family brought over their 7-week-old baby for her to watch over, though it left her weak
Brave: The brave little girl has remained upbeat, her parents say, and was even courageous enough to mark off another wish from her list--to pet an alligator
Laney received her cancer diagnosis in May but the past week has been the toughest after doctors told the family that there was little else to be done.
‘Today we were told the worst news of our lives,’ wrote Delaney’s mom Jennifer Brown last week. ‘Laney has 70% cancer cells in her blood. If they would treat the cancer the virus that she has would kill her. And if they treat the virus the cancer will kill her.’
Laney suffered from a rare form of childhood cancer called acute myeloid leukemia with monosomy 7, ‘making her quite rare,’ according to the Facebook page.
Just 10 children a year are diagnosed with the illness in America.
Delaney was diagnosed with leukemia in May and has since undergone five rounds of radiation and a stem cell transplant
Thousands have started to follow Delaney's Facebook page Team Delaney since her diagnosis and her family used it to bring a crowd of carolers to their home on Saturday night
The sweet but tough little girl, who loved fashion and swimming in the ocean, went through five rounds of radiation and a stem cell transplant.
Photos of the beautiful gathering, which over 4,000 people indicated on Facebook they’d attend, show throngs of supporters outside Delaney’s home—many in Santa hats and holding candles as they gave the brave girl her Christmas wish.
Singer Taylor Swift, who grew up in the neighboring town of Wyomissing, also helped Delaney knock an item off her bucket list.
The Make-A-Wish Foundation helped connect Swift with the Brown family last week when it became clear that Delaney has very little time left.
‘Laney was so nervous to talk to her because she is such a ‘famous celebrity,’ Jennifer Brown wrote on Facebook.
‘I was actually worried that when Taylor Facetimed her that she would be to scared to talk but Taylor was fabulous!! She really engaged Laney in conversation. Laney lit up and had a huge smile on her face. I can't thank Taylor enough.’
'Prior to her cancer she was a normal kid,' writes Delaney's mother. 'Spent as much time as possible at the pool or in the ocean. She also loved to dance in ballet. She loves animal prints, hot pink, and she has a special eye for fashion!'
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Craig Taylor was found dead at the side of a road in Cancun on SundayTaylor, his brother and two friends reportedly got into a fight ...
- 'I'm not being exploited, I love what I'm doing and I'm safe': Duke freshman says she started filming porn to pay $47,000 tuition but now finds work 'empowering'
- My George, you're a big bundle of joy now! Six-month-old Prince looks a bonny baby in Kate's arms arriving on first foreign holiday
- Cayden Taipalus, 8, pays off all his classmates' overdue lunch bills in 'Pay It Forward' campaign
- Tulsa couple with triplets and twins reveal hectic routine
- Family and friends gather to remember 13-year-old boy who was mauled to death by a bull mastiff last week as he walked home from school
- Student named Rachel Canning mistaken for spoilt brat suing her parents uses online trolling to help drum up support for Autism charity
- Kate Middleton and Prince William jet off without George for 'second honeymoon'
- Chinese couple pose for photos wearing GAS MASKS on wedding day due to smog
- Fired Orange Co. firefighters defend selves during hearings into time use
- Hilarious video shows meerkat giggling with pleasure at getting his tummy tickled
- Justin Bieber mansion 'broken into by fan found sleeping in bedroom'
- Serial killer IS on the loose in affluent Washington D.C. suburb, say cops after respected teacher was gunned down on doorstep
- Jessica Alba strips in Sin City: A Dame To Kill For trailer
- Woman, 27, launches quest to find mom who dumped her in a Burger King bathroom after giving birth
- Singer branded the 'reincarnation of Michael Jackson' claims he has DNA evidence to prove he is the dead star's SON
- Chicago Bogdanov family busted for $7 MILLION shoplifting spree
- Why I loathe lesbian chic: Suddenly it's all the rage, women celebrities kissing each other in public. How cynically phoney, says JULIE BINDEL. It's all about titillating men to make more money
- Matt Lauer ribs Bob Costas about his infection as ill host appears on Today Show with sunglasses
- Massachusetts court rules taking “upskirting” pictures of women legal
- Teenager 'posted chilling message online before killing mother and shooting father with the help of his friend'
- Mother of soldier shot dead, Okan Cetinbag, claims there has been 'cover-up'
- 97-year-old woman struck by FHP trooper's vehicle dies
- Police arrest Christopher Andrews, Danielle Tennis and Carrie Marcink in violent home invasion
- 'My mom called me porky and my dad got me drunk and told me I was more than just his daughter': Explosive claims of 'spoiled' cheerleader, 18, suing parents to support her after she ran away
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Dumb Britain: Beautician laughs off Twitter storm after mistakenly spelling Barack Obama as Barraco Barner....and sparks the inevitable parody accounts
- Ousted Ukrainian president Yanukovych is seriously ill in hospital after suffering a heart attack, claim Russian press
- Did you do better than Scarlett Johansson, Bill Clinton or Natalie Portman? Celebrities' SAT scores revealed amid controversy over regrading
- Life on the Ganges: The mystics, street children and pilgrims who spend their lives on the banks of India's most sacred river
- Scientists say sea's surface helps clear up smog while we sleep
- The automated 'fish rigs' that could farm Salmon in the North Sea
- Albert Speer's coat bought at auction by his JEWISH COUSIN
- Former Ukrainian prime minister makes political comeback after her release from prison and says use of military force against Russia should not be ruled out
- Children of woman who went missing 13 years ago set up tip-line as dad faces THIRD trial for her murder
- Google's $35 million mystery barge made of recycled shipping containers floats to its new home in Stockton