Revealed: The secrets of being a Disneyland princess... smile constantly, never sit down and always remain in character, but you'll still be forced to retire before you're 27
- A former Snow White has revealed the tough demands that Disney places on its 'face characters'
- Actors have to conform to rigid body types and can't be taller than 5ft 7 inches
- Those lucky enough to be selected are expected to remain in character at all time
PUBLISHED: 23:59 EST, 10 April 2013 | UPDATED: 07:46 EST, 11 April 2013
A former Disneyland princess has revealed the tough demands placed on the real-life actors playing classic animated characters including Snow White, Alice In Wonderland and Tinkerbell.
Known as ‘face characters,’ the princesses not only have to look the part, they need to remember quotes from their movies, stay in character at all times, and know how to sing and dance.
A former Snow White actress, known only as Reddit user doublenn recently held an Ask Me Anything Q&A session in which she revealed how tough it can be working at Disneyland.
Scroll down for video
Former Snow White face character Doublenn has revealed the tough demands placed on the real-life actors playing classic Disney characters
In order to play a Disney princess an actor must have the right body type, the right age, and have the right temperament, reports Business Insider.
According to doublenn, becoming a Disney princess requires a long and drawn out audition process.
First the girls are checked to see which character they could potentially look like, then follow several other tests including dancing, acting in character and an interview.
There are certain height restrictions involved as a Disney princess is typically between 5ft 4inches and 5ft 7inches, although for fairies such as Tinkerbell, Alice and Wendy must be more petite - between 4ft 11inches and 5ft 2inches.
Age is another important factor. Most girls are between 18 and 23, some last until they are 27, but it is almost unheard off for a princess or fairy to be played by someone over 27.
Disney face characters are required to stay in character at all times and always smile
Once chosen, the lucky actors go through an intensive five day training course during which they study Disney movies so they can quote lines said by their character.
Each day requires a lot of preparation for the actor to become their character. Doublenn told Reddit that it would take her an hour to get read, including 20 minutes just putting on Snow White’s dress.
Throughout the day she was then required to touch-up her makeup to ensure she always looked her best.
Doublenn also revealed that being a face character isn’t a lucrative career and during her time as Snow White she started on $13.50 an hour which increased to $16.
Actors playing Disney princesses go through a tough selection process and their careers are over before they become 27
Disney also has lots of rules for its actors to follow, with the main one being that princesses need to remain in character at all time.
Other rules include not being allowed to sit down while working, always smiling, always doing the character's voice.
Doublenn revealed that as a result of straining her voice to sound more like Snow White over several years she developed inoperable vocal nodes.
However she also says she enjoyed her time at Disney and made some long lasting friends with the other princesses.
Rules for Disney princesses include always smiling and always talking in the voice of their character
The morning news hosts traveled to the Vatican for today's final papal audience of 2013They both got the chance to shake Pope Francis' handJosh tried ...
- Gone but not forgotten: 'Deleted' Snapchat photos are stored on your phone and can be easily downloaded, claims forensics firm
- Winter solstice 2013: Were you really waiting until now for winter?
- Are you green with envy? Couple dress up as Shrek and Princess Fiona for movie-themed wedding... and make their guests come in fancy dress too
- Paul Walker's younger brother Cody starts to clear up late actor's belongings
- Katie Beirne Fallon: Can she fix White House-Congress relations?
- 'Somebody is dead as a result of what they did - or didn't do': Faith-healing parents charged with MURDER after second child dies from pneumonia are denied bail
- Kate Upton goes topless on the beach in Hawaii
- Democrat-controlled Senate uses the 'nuclear option' by overriding the Republicans power to filibuster
- Hive containing 60,000 honeybees removed from Utah cabin after six hours
- Bradley Cooper: 'I wanted to f***ing kill myself'
- Why hangovers get worse after 40: We've got less muscle, we're dehydrated and we're more sensitive to the ingredients in alcohol
- Alberto Palmer: Convicted criminal charged with murdering 18-year-old escort stuffed inside a car in February now tied to dead woman, 24
- First time Mark Sanford's sons ever MET his mistress turned fiancee was on stage and on camera at his victory party
- Unclaimed $16 million lottery ticket in Florida expires
- War hero, 90, who was shot during WWII finally has sniper's bullet removed from his hip - at his cremation
- Great-grandad Mick's ever growing dynasty
- One Direction send video message to Colorado school shooting victim Claire Davis
- Religious Saudi Arabia police arrest man for 'exotic practices' for giving out 'free hugs'
- Rap Genius' Mahbod Moghadam had brain tumor that made him mean
- David and Victoria Beckham's new London home has four nail bars and a catwalk
- 'Plastic-looking' CGI characters could soon look more human as researchers unveil high-definition facial scanner to capture every skin cell and wrinkle
- 'You shut up lady!' Family Feud contestant's awkward answer that 'zombies are black' stuns host Steve Harvey and her rival competitors who are all black
- FSU quarterback expresses thanks after it's revealed he will NOT be charged with rape as documents claim friend watched accuser willingly perform a sex act
- Lawyer demonstrates how police beat Kelly Thomas, homeless man to death
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- 'I'll be fulfilling a lifelong dream of consuming a small soda on a smoke-free beach': Famously stoic Mayor Bloomberg makes fun his health initiatives in Saturday Night Live appearance during last week in office
- Japanese engineers create bridge inspecting robot
- Homemade Alone, Castababy and Wah Wars: A star is born as creative parents re-enact famous movie scenes for their baby boy with cardboard props
- The 2,000 mile storm: Freezing rain, ice and snow threaten Christmas travelers from Texas to Nova Scotia as weather system claims at least two lives
- Now that's a benchmark! Comedian replaces mugs of real estate agents with his own face in corny bus stop ads
- Chase limit debit card customers who shopped in Target during the computer hack to just $100 cash withdrawal and $300 of purchases PER DAY
- Sheriff's investigator KILLED protecting daughter and her boyfriend during armed robbery outside holiday party
- Four arrested
- Touching footage of the ceremony held at Arlington cemetery for victims who died in the Pan Am 103 bombing deemed 'the deadliest act of terror in Britain'
- Trading Congress for clubs! Incognito Obama keeps his head down as he hits the golf course on the first day of his annual Hawaii vacation with high hopes it will be the first getaway of his presidency NOT to be interrupted