Amanda Rosenberg: Google girl who went to Kate Middleton's school and boss Sergey Brin in romance that's rocked Silicon Valley
Only last year, Amanda Rosenberg was so friendless after moving to San Francisco that she spoke of eating her lunch alone in the toilets.
But the 27-year-old, who boarded at £31,000-a-year Marlborough College with Princess Beatrice and Kate and Pippa Middleton, certainly seems to have turned things around – for she was last night named as the new lover of Sergey Brin, 40.
Google has been rocked by talk of the romance, and a spokesman yesterday confirmed that Brin – one of the world’s richest men with a £15billion fortune – has for several months been living apart from his wife of six years Anne Wojcicki, the mother of his two children.
If they divorce, Californian law suggests their massive fortune would have to be halved – although they reportedly signed a strict pre-nuptial agreement.
While the internet was agog with talk of Brin romancing his much younger employee, the Daily Mail tracked down a distinctly unsurprised former boyfriend of Miss Rosenberg – who said she ‘knew the power of her womanly ways’.
Ewan Butler, 28, a trainee teacher living with his parents in Darlington, said: ‘Amanda’s a good looking girl, and she knows she is.
'And she’s good at “playing” men – she played me.’
Brin’s relationship with Rosenberg emerged only yesterday – but the pair were pictured together earlier this year at a New York Fashion Week event, both wearing the controversial Google Glass computerised spectacles for which she is marketing manager.
An employee of Google since she graduated with a communications degree from Leeds University, she initially worked for the internet giant in London before last year moving to San Francisco to work at its Silicon Valley nerve centre.
She soon won a role promoting Google Glass, widely criticised as the glasses which enable users to film and broadcast over the internet everything they see non-stop, worrying privacy campaigners.
Miss Rosenberg wrote an online blog soon after she arrived – describing herself as a ‘misanthropic Brit struggling to come to terms with Californian optimism’.
She wrote: ‘I’d been living a beautifully choreographed life in London for pretty much my entire life; family, friends, job, life. Then one day I realised the beauty had faded.
‘So I applied for a transfer with my company to a different country. Yes! The romance of a transfer!
‘Luckily for me this all worked out like I dreamed it would...NOT. Of course it didn’t work out like that!
‘I remember having conversations with people about moving countries, and no one talks about how it felt to be alone.
'I wanted to grab them and scream “Why are you not telling me about how you ate lunch in the toilets at work for the first week because no one talked to you?”.’
A good looking girl... 'who knows she is': Miss Rosenberg, shown left wearing the Google Glass device and right in a picture from her Google+ profile, previously dated Ewan Butler, 28, a trainee teacher living from Darlington
Employee: Miss Rosenberg pictured in a YouTube marketing video for Google Glass. She won her role promoting the controversial spectacles after coming up with the voice command ‘Ok, Glass’ to activate them
Split: Mr Brin, who is worth a staggering £15billion, has separated from his wife of six years, Anne Wojcicki, left
Glasses promotion: Rosenberg with boss Brin and fashion designer Diane von Furstenberg in New York
Power couple: If Brin and Wojcicki, his wife of six years, divorce, Californian law suggests their massive fortune would have to be halved - although they reportedly signed a strict pre-nuptial agreement
Marriage on the rocks: A Google spokesman confirmed that Brin – one of the world’s richest men – has for several months been living apart from Wojcicki, the mother of his two children
Miss Rosenberg, who previously lived in Wimbledon, adding tellingly that her first thought in her new office was: ‘Hello new boss, hello new team...LIKE ME IMMEDIATELY.’
A RELATIONSHIP RIDICULED
Sergey Brin, 40, is being roundly mocked on the internet over his apparent relationship with Amanda Rosenberg.
One of numerous websites ridiculing the reported affair draws particular attention to his recent enthusiasm for the ‘Google Glass’ computerised spectacles.
The website jibes: ‘Since Google Glass launched the company’s co-founder, Sergey Brin, hasn’t been spotted without a pair.
'He’s placed himself atop the privacy-eroding project, publicly, and inside Google’s secret labs.
'Maybe it’s because he’s f****** the Glass marketing manager, Amanda Rosenberg.’
The blog goes on: ‘Knowing that one of the most vital, powerful men at the company has been using Google’s most ambitious product as a dating pool won’t be smooth news for the rest of the team.’
She also wrote that she was initially so shy she failed to turn up at her first work drinks invitation, fearing she would be ‘the weird loner in the corner’, so stayed in eating biscuits alone on her sofa instead.
In an internet profile Miss Rosenberg wrote of herself: ‘I’m part of the master race that is the Chinese Jew or Chew, if you will.
'Born in Hong Kong but bred in the UK. A misanthrope who’s bad at maths, so I got the worst of both worlds.’
Elsewhere she declares that her motto is: ‘He who hesitates is a damned fool.’
Miss Rosenberg is understood to have an English father and a Hong Kong Chinese mother who worked as an investment banker.
After leaving Marlborough, where Pippa Middleton was two years above her, and Princess Beatrice was just a year below, she soon began a year-long relationship with fellow Leeds University student Mr Butler.
Told his ex was being linked to the Google tycoon, he said: ‘It wouldn’t surprise me in the least – she’s that kind of girl.’
He added: ‘Although Amanda did have a posh crew she knocked around with she wasn’t stuck up like you might expect from a Marlborough girl.
'With me I think there was a fascination with me being northern – I was pretty much the only person in our student halls who went to a comprehensive.’
More than a marketing manager: Miss Rosenberg also appears in promotional shots for Google Glass
California dreamin': She wrote on her blog that she was initially so shy in her new role in Google's Silicon Valley HQ she failed to turn up at her first work drinks invitation, fearing she would be 'the weird loner in the corner'
Mixed-race heritage: Miss Rosenberg is understood to have an English father and a Hong Kong Chinese mother. She describes herself as 'part of the master race that is the Chinese Jew or Chew, if you will'
Celebrity lifestyle: Miss Rosenberg poses with British rapper and iconic glasses-wearer Tinie Tempah
Romantic link: Hugo Barra, Google's product management director for Android. Miss Rosenberg was previously linked to the Google executive, who recently announced he was leaving the firm to take a job in China
Intriguingly Miss Rosenberg had already had a high-flying Google boyfriend in America – senior executive Hugo Barra, who recently announced he was leaving to join a Chinese computer firm.
Last night Miss Rosenberg – who got her Google Glass job after coming up with the voice command ‘Ok, Glass’ to activate the device - could not be contacted for comment.
A spokesman for Brin – who founded Google with Larry Page in 1998 – said that he was not legally separated from his wife and that ‘they remain good friends and partners’.
Paul Walker: Revealed, heroic stuntman who risked his own life to try and save actor best friend from fireball car crash
Newt Wimer, 37, raced to scene and made a desperate attempt to pull Walker from the burning Porsche GTBurnt arms in rescue bid, allegedly hit ...
- EXCLUSIVE - Naked and Afraid and 'FAKE': Survival show contestant was secretly given IV drip and baby food after she gets ill from eating a turtle - but viewers were not told
- The incredible aerial photographs of American cities taken by the world's first drone: Pioneer took images in 1900s with cameras attached to kites
- Facebook campaign launched to help widow of Doritos Locos Tacos visionary
- Chesapeake Bay bridge: The Maryland bridge so terrifying locals pay $25 for company to shuttle them across in their own car
- Sci-Fi home security systems for the rich: The rise of the billionaire bunker
- Sex manual created for ultra-Orthodox Jews
- HALF of the country threatened by tornadoes and severe weather as experts warn urban sprawl means deadly twister strikes on cities will become more common
- A whirlwind romance: Chelsy battles with bride's billowing dress as William and Harry lead Royal party at society wedding of year
- Missouri woman Diane Staudte, 51, used anti-freeze to kill husband she 'hated' and son who was 'worse than a pest'
- Student takes grinning selfie as pregnant teacher has contractions
- San Francisco's OTHER 'Painted Ladies': Spine-chilling black Victorian homes in the City by the Bay are revealed in time for Halloween
- The final photograph: Fast and Furious star Paul Walker pictured getting into his friend's high-powered Porsche GT just moments before being engulfed in deadly fire ball
- Are Washington 'Redskins' doomed? NFL's resistance to change showing cracks.
- Ferraz do Amaral family killed their upscale Lake Nona home and weren't found for 3 weeks
- Ian Watkins' ex-girlfriend claims his fans are hiding extent of child abuse
- Gone but not forgotten: 'Deleted' Snapchat photos are stored on your phone and can be easily downloaded, claims forensics firm
- 'Hillbilly reality': Meet the man who lives with eight bears on new Discovery reality series, Porter Ridge, set on a junk yard
- Unclaimed $16 million lottery ticket in Florida expires
- Queer artist Coco Layne transforms her appearance to 'open up debate about gender presentation'
- Rebel Wilson busted whilst making off with buffet
- Philomena Lee: 'To think the nuns never told us my son was searching for me'
- All the president's women: Virgin interns. Prostitutes. White House pool sex sessions. 50 years after the murder of JFK, the jaw-dropping truth of the betrayal of Jackie
- Jameis Winston will be 'completely exonerated' from rape claim, says his attorney
- Cup that's IMPOSSIBLE to knock over: Mighty Mug perfect for clumsy user
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- East Coast braces for Monday morning commute from hell: Winter storm threatens to bring freezing rain and has already caused 50 car pile-up in Pennsylvania
- 'Frozen' dominates box office in second week, takes top spot from 'Hunger Games' sequel
- New York City tries to evict woman, 100, from $219-a-month Manhattan apartment because they say she really lives in ITALY
- Pearl Harbor images: Incredible images combine black and white photographs from Pearl Harbor attack with color pictures of the same locations today for 72nd anniversary
- iPad bouncy seat for babies causes concern from experts who say it could restrict learning
- EXCLUSIVE: Paul Walker was once HOMELESS as a student
- Man, 42, lured in Craigslist ad by Newlywed 'thrill killers' was STILL ALIVE - choking and gasping for air - after being stabbed 20 times as couple searched for place to dump his body
- Controversial Snuggle House shuts just three weeks after opening citing 'harassment' from Wisconsin officials who feared it was all a front for prostitution
- President Obama accused of lying over Syrian intelligence in sarin gas attack by award-winning journalist Seymour Hersh
- Girl, 2, mauled to death by grandfather's dog after he left her alone